Monday, October 20, 2008

Mondays Travels Part 2


After lunch, we headed off to the hills, first we had to cross the very large Tiahu Lake. It was a series of 3 bridges, with small islands in between to get us to this small village called Xishan. It used to be completely shut off from the mainland before the bridges were built, but this high producing agricultural area was important enough to build the bridges. Now the whole region has become quite a tourist area-many large hotels and villas around the lakeshores. In the middle of the island, there is a large cave that was a holy place of Taoists during the Tang and Song dynasties and then rediscovered 30 years ago (filled with ancient relics... which are now in museums)


(I know..i look like a little midget next to him, especially at this angle!)



The cave was really cool, several large openings, cool temperature in summer (it stays warm in the winter) below sea level in parts.

2 comments:

Amy said...

cool boats!

Marci Morgan said...

I am soooo jealous!!! It looks amazing there. I miss my running buddy!! I am so sorry I missed Boot camp. I had another one of those nights. I am supposing I will never sleep again!!! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures when you get back. I have seen your dad around. He is doing a good job!!

Disneyland

Danny and Friends Mountain Biking